top of page




A Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act may sponsor a family member to come to Canada or to remain in Canada with Permanent Residence Status. 


When you agree to be a sponsor a family member, you must sign an undertaking, promising to give financial support for the basic needs of your spouse or partner and their dependent children.

Before signing the undertaking agreement, you must make sure the people you sponsor won’t need to ask the government for financial help. If they receive social assistance, you’ll have to pay back what they received during the time you are legally responsible for them. You won’t be able to sponsor anyone else until you’ve repaid the amount. 

The undertaking is a binding promise of support, meaning that it is your responsibility to support the applicant(s) for the length of the undertaking period even if your situation changes. The undertaking will stay in effect for the length of the undertaking period, even if your situation changes. The undertaking won’t be cancelled, even if:

  • the person you sponsor becomes a Canadian citizen

  • you become divorced, separated or your relationship with the sponsored person breaks down

  • you or the person you sponsor move to another province or country

  • you have financial problems

Who can sponsor

You may sponsor if you are:

  • at least 18 years old

  • a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident,

  • living in Canada:

    • if you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident.

    • You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside of Canada.

  • able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability, and;

You must also be able to show that you can provide basic needs for:

  • yourself,

  • your spouse or partner,

  • your spouse or partner’s dependent child(ren) (if applicable)

  • your dependent child(ren) (if you’re sponsoring only your dependent child).


Type of Sponsorship


Sponsorship of Spouse / Common-Law partner - Outside Canada Class

submit this application if: 

  • the person you want to sponsor lives outside Canada

  • the person you want to sponsor currently lives with you in Canada but doesn’t plan to stay in Canada while the application is being processed

  • you’re sponsoring your conjugal partner or dependent child

Apply under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class 

if your spouse or common-law partner:

  • lives with you in Canada

  • has valid temporary resident status in Canada, or is exempt from needing this status under a public policy

  • would like to apply for, and qualifies for, an Open Work Permit so that they can work while the application is being processed

What makes you qualify to apply under the common-law relationship

You can sponsor the person as your common-law partner (same or opposite gender) as long as you’ve been living or have lived with your partner for at least 12 consecutive months in a marriage-like relationship.


What makes you qualify to apply under the Conjugal Partner

A conjugal partner is:

  • a person who is living outside Canada,

  • in a conjugal relationship with the sponsor for at least one year, and

  • could not live with the sponsor as a couple because of reasons beyond their control (e.g. immigration barrier, religious reasons or sexual orientation).

You can sponsor a conjugal partner if:

  • there is a significant degree of attachment between the two of you, implying not just a physical relationship but a mutually interdependent relationship, and

  • you’ve been in a genuine (real) relationship for at least 12 months where marriage or cohabitation (living together) hasn’t been possible because of barriers such as sexual orientation, religious faith, etc.

Dependent Child

Your child or the child of your spouse or common-law partner can be considered a dependent child if that child meets the requirements below on the day we receive your complete application:

  • They’re under 22 years old, and

  • They don’t have a spouse or common-law partner

Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:

  • They have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22, and

  • They are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition

With the exception of age, dependants must continue to meet these requirements until we finish processing your application.

Parents and Grandparents

You can sponsor your own parents and grandparents if

  • you received an invitation to apply for IRCC 

  • you’re at least 18 years old

  • you live in Canada

  • you’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act

  • you have enough money to support the people you want to sponsor

    • to show that you have enough, you’ll have to provide your proof of income

    • you may have a spouse or common-law partner co-sign to combine your incomes

To become a sponsor, you must promise to financially support the people you are sponsoring for a period of time. 

The undertaking for a parental sponsorship commits you to

  • providing financial support for your sponsored family members for 20 years, starting when they become permanent residents

  • repaying any provincial social assistance (money from the government) your sponsored family members get during that time


Other Family member

Other family members such siblings may be sponsor, but only If a specific criteria is met. 

Basically the sponsor must demonstrate to be completely alone in Canada and with no other direct family member (spouse /children/parents/grandparent) that can be sponsored. 

Contact us for more information 







2005 Sheppard Avenue East, Suite 100

Toronto, Ontario, M2J 5B4


Tel:  (647) 228-0252


Click Here to Find Us

bottom of page