top of page




A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), also referred to as a visitor visa, is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office that is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, a student, or a worker).

Important information: You must obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) before your departure. You cannot obtain one upon arrival in Canada.

You must show the officer that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act(IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulationsand that you will be in Canada for a temporary stay.

You must also:

  • Satisfy an officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay,

  • Show that you have enough money to maintain yourself and your family members in Canada and to return home,

  • Not intend to work or study in Canada unless authorized to do so,

  • Be law abiding and have no record of criminal activity,

  • Not be a risk to the security of Canada,

  • Provide any additional document requested by the officer to establish your admissibility, and

  • Be in good health (complete a medical examination if required).

If you have ever been granted permanent residence or landed immigrant status in Canada, you may still be a permanent resident. A TRV cannot be issued to Permanent Residents. You may instead want to apply for Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad). If you meet the requirements for a travel document, you can return to Canada as a permanent resident.

If you no longer want to be a permanent resident, or if you know you do not meet the requirements to keep your permanent resident status, you can voluntarily give up (renounce) your permanent resident statusin order to apply for a TRV.





2005 Sheppard Avenue East, Suite 100

Toronto, Ontario M2J 5B4


Tel:  (647) 228-0252


Click Here to Find Us

bottom of page